For many years the ELCA held two national “Global Mission Events” annually, gathering clergy and lay leaders dedicated to global mission to share stories and inspire other interested people. With a commitment to increased access, the ELCA has restructured and decentralized these events. Fifteen such events are being held in 2012, including one hosted by Faith Lutheran Church, Clive starting November 2 through November 3.
The events are now called “Glocal Mission Gatherings.” “The term ‘glocal’ refers to an emphasis on the connection between global mission and local mission,” explained Sunitha Mortha, director of the ELCA Global Formation Program.
Don’t miss this opportunity to put together a team from your congregation to attend the event November 2-3 in Clive. This event is specifically geared towards building, supporting, and educating, congregational teams. Attending the event in a team on behalf of a congregation allows greater participation in the different skill building workshop sessions and allows for your congregation to have more information to share when you go home. We highly recommend that you invite others from your congregation to join you!
For only $35 per person and in only 1 1/2 days, your team can:
- Enhance your connections with the local and global Christians
- Gain practical skills for mission
- Learn how churches are changing how they proclaim and serve
By the end of the event, your team will be equipped to:
- Lead inviting worship that includes global voices
- Serve in a way that is sustainable, respectful, and cross-culturally sensitive
- Give, receive, lead and serve in different ministry settings
- Practice and share best practices in mission in your own congregation, the local community and across the globe.
A block of rooms has been reserved for a rate of $89 at the Country Inn & Suites in Clive.
The telephone number is 515-223-9254. Registrants should book under “ELCA Glocal Mission Gathering” by Oct. 18 to receive the special rate.
Event and registration materials are available here: