By Rev. Chris Olkiewicz, Windsor Heights Lutheran Church
I was privileged recently to participate on behalf of our synod in the annual gathering (virtually, of course) of the Lutheran Ecumenical and Inter-Religious Representatives Network. Here are a few highlights of how Lutherans continue to be engaged with ecumenical and inter-religious partners:
- ALICUM brings together Anglican and Lutheran bishops globally to seek ways of strengthening cooperation and communion-building.
- Representatives of the five communions that have embraced the Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification continue to meet regularly, the text has been translated and is now available online in five languages, and a study guide is being prepared by a global editorial team.
- The LWF continues formal dialogues with the Orthodox and Pentecostals and a trilateral Lutheran-Mennonite-Roman Catholic dialogue and has begun informal conversations about global collaboration with the Salvation Army.
- More information about global ecumenical and interfaith relationships is available here
- Active relationships with full communion partners continue with, Reformed Church in America, Presbyterian Church (USA), United Church of Christ, Moravian Church, Episcopal Church, United Methodist Church. One example of many collaborative efforts is the resource, “Resuming Care-filled Worship and Sacramental Life During a Pandemic.”
- The latest round of the US Lutheran-Catholic dialogue on “teaching authority” concluded and the dialogue report will be published in late 2021.
- Guidelines for interfaith prayer services are being developed as a first step in the implementation of “A Declaration of Inter-Religious Commitment: A policy statement of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (2019).”
- Much more information about ELCA Ecumenical and Inter-Religious Relations is available here
I am available to answer questions, point you toward resources, or chat about the ecumenical and interfaith opportunities where you serve — Pr. Chris Olkiewicz, revchris[at]whlc.org