The Synod Council gathered over Zoom for a regular meeting on Saturday, April 24. The agenda was organized into three parts: worship, education, and business. Pastor Erika Uthe, Director for Evangelical Mission and Assistant to the Bishop offered worship centering the council on 1 John 3:16-24.
Pastor Uthe also led the Education Session which began with an update of the Synod’s Anti-Racism Network. More than just a report, Pastor Uthe then took the council through an exercise from the curriculum, “Transforming White Privilege” to raise awareness of biases in society and personally. In small groups, the council discussed the biases witnessed and felt.
The business before the council included committee appointments, roster updates, reports from the treasurer, vice president, and the bishop. The bishop’s report outlined the following priorities for the synod:
- Building a strong synod team to support the mission of the synod,
- Sharing the Good News through stories, events, and resource sharing,
- Invigorating a culture of call for future rostered and lay leaders,
- Reimagining congregational rostered ministry transitions,
- Advocating for and supporting wellness for rostered ministers and professional ministry staff,
- Building and sharing advocacy, education, engagements, and resources through synodical networks,
- Accompanying congregations, ministries, and leaders.
The next regular meeting of the Synod Council will be Saturday, July 17, 2021.