Free Indeed is a new ministry taking shape at the Anamosa State Penitentiary, a men’s state prison located in Anamosa, eastern Iowa. Free Indeed is a community that shares the good news of Jesus Christ with and through those inside the prison walls, with support of ministry partners outside the prison walls. Currently, Free Indeed is a congregation under development in the Southeastern Iowa Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
WHAT WE DO
Free Indeed will serve the nearly 1000 men living at the Anamosa State Penitentiary. Based on the Prison Congregations in America model we seek to:
- Share the good news of Jesus Christ to those who are inside and outside of prison walls
- Build a community of faith within the confines of the prison using national Prison Congregations of American model.
- Build a network of supporters on the outside of the prison walls to support and participate in the congregation
- Assist those who are released to be restored to the community and to continue in their spiritual journey.
WHO WE ARE
We are a ministry being established through the support of the Southeastern Iowa Synod of the ELCA, we seek to be an ecumenical congregation that welcomes all.
We consist of two main parts that make up one worshipping community. The inside congregation is like any other church community. We will hold Holy Communion, have bible studies, times for prayer and reflection. We will have a leadership council that helps make decisions about governance and ministry. The outside community is a network of ministerial and financial supporters. There will be an administrative council. Our ministry seeks to be a network of congregations and individuals that support the prison congregation spiritually and financially.
In July 2017, Pastor Jerry Collell was able to join us in ministry. Contact Pastor Jerry: [email protected]
MAKING YOUR GIFT
How to Support Us
- Financial gifts
- Invite someone from the Free Indeed steering committee to speak to your church or community group. Email Pastor Erika Uthe, [email protected], to arrange a presentation.
Your gift to this ministry can be given by cash, check, credit card is needed today to fund the current needs of our community. You may also make recurring gifts.
Make checks payable to the Southeastern Iowa Synod with “Prison Ministry” noted in the memo line
Mail checks to:
Southeastern Iowa Synod
2635 Northgate Rd.
Iowa City, IA 52245
Make a secure credit card donation.