A child dies from malaria every 60 seconds.
Today we are in a special moment where we could turn this around. Working though Lutheran churches in Africa, the ELCA Malaria Campaign is uniquely positioned to provide mosquito nets, insecticides, medication, health care, education and more to help eliminate deaths from this disease—for good. The Southeastern Iowa Synod joins the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and African companions churches to prevent, treat and contain malaria by 2015. Click here to view the resolution passed at the 2012 Southeastern Iowa Synod Assembly.
The Southeastern Iowa Synod SWAT Team is ready and willing to assist your congregation in participating in this campaign. Please contact one of the following individuals to come to your congregation and share the story of the campaign. *NEW: The SWAT Team invites congregations to share their campaign stories, events and fundraising ideas through an electronic form available by clicking here.
Synod SWAT Team Members
Lutheran Church of Hope, West Des Moines
Messiah Lutheran Church, Burlington
St. Andrew Lutheran Church, Cedar Rapids
Synod Staff Liaison, Pastor Eric Carlson, 319-631-8031, [email protected]
Resources for Congregations
- ELCA Malaria Campaign Website offers a variety of resources ranging from bulletin inserts to interactive learning activities to children sermons.
- ELCA Malaria Media and Resources
- A Congregational Action Kit!
- Malaria Campaign Temple Talk
- Malaria PowerPoint Presentation
Malaria PowerPoint Presentation Script (PDF)
Order brochures, t-shirts, buttons, etc
Activities, Events, Fundraisers for children & youth
- ELCA Malaria Campaign Website
- https://www.mosquitoes.org/educ_materials.htm (mosquito ed. & activity materials)
- https://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/insects/mosquito/ (mosquito ed. materials)
- https://nobelprize.org/educational_games/medicine/malaria/ (interactive malaria game)
- https://www.daniellesplace.com/HTML/bugs.HTML (mosquito craft)
- https://cdc-malaria.ncsa.uiuc.edu/ (Centers for Disease Control’s interactive malaria map)
Google “mosquito coloring pages” for results, such as:
- The Gift of Growing Up, 10 min. video by Malaria No More (not for first grade and younger)
- Global “PlaceMaps” to color 10-12 are free or order a tablet of 100 (click on “general tab”)
- Nickels for Nets – Collect nickels in a jar/bottle sitting in a doll bed and draped with mosquito netting. Measure the height or length of the 200 nickels required for one
- Score One for Nets (Strike Down Malaria or Take a Strike Against Malaria for bowling). Collect pledges for a game or shoot-outs in a sport using a net (e.g. basketball, soccer, volleyball, badminton, etc.)
- Score One Against Malaria (Played like the basketball shooting game H-O-R-S-E). Collect pledges; start with M-A-L-A-R-I-A and remove a letter for each basket or goal.
- You Can Fight Malaria. Collect and recycle aluminum cans to purchase nets.
- Sleep Tight, Don’t Let the Mosquitoes Bite. Cut out “bed” shapes from construction paper; cover with netting* for each $10 collected
- Fill Me! Stop Me! Construct banks to look like mosquitoes; collect money to purchase bed nets.
- Knots for Nets. Knotted bracelets made of colorful thread can be sold for $10 each
- Name that Mosquito. Donations provide the chance to name a mosquito mascot; more donations = more chances.
- MoSKIToes. https://www.elca.org/malaria. Click on “Resources.” – Older children/youth receive malaria info. to develop skits to perform in VBS, worship, etc.
Resources for Adults
- Order brochures, bulletin inserts, envelopes, nets, DVDs, and additional materials as they are developed on the ELCA’s website.
- United Nations Foundation 45 min. documentary, When the Night Comes; view trailers at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asJi4CjOXi4
- Videos on malaria, especially the life cycle (some statistics are dated and there may be some general inaccuracies) at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVbq2yQH52g
- Photos, fact sheets, and other information available from Voices for a Malaria-Free Future at: https://www.malariafreefuture.org (please give credit)
- Centers for Disease Control: Malaria: https://www.cdc.gov/malaria/index.html
- Malaria: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): https://www.cdc.gov/malaria/about/faqs.html
- World Health Organization: Malaria: https://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs094/en/
- Hunger Education Toolkit (click on the “toolkits tab”)
- Pilot synod links, additional worship resources, games/activities, and country fact sheets: https://www.elca.org/Resources/ELCA-Malaria-Campaign