Love Like Jesus Makes A Difference
The Southeastern Iowa Synod and Grand View University sponsored a service leadership event for high school youth June 20-23, 2013 in Des Moines. Love Like Jesus engaged close to 60 youth and adults from across the synod in leadership development, bible study, service outreach and worship.
◦ Great Bible Study! – Professor Ken Jones of Grand View University served as our Teaching Pastor. Among many fascinating insights, he reminded the group that Jesus + Nothing = Salvation. We are free in Christ! It served as a great foundation for how we are able to Love Like Jesus in the world.
◦ Love Like Jesus University – Participants chose up to three sessions that provide integrated hands-on learning in Peer Ministry, art, music, recreation, theology and more!
◦ Love Like Jesus Service Day – Participants split into two groups to make a difference in the Des Moines Community. One group walked alongside clients of Mosaic as they prepared meals at Meals from the Heartland, then washed vans and played games. The other group spent the day painting, cleaning and preparing teacher materials for Cattell Elementary in Des Moines.
◦ ELCA World Hunger – Justin Rabbach and Brittany Lamb from led an educational simulation game that sparked great discussion on the challenges for those who suffer from hunger and poverty in our local communities.
◦ Worship – Pastor Russ Lackey and Kate Gleney from the Campus Ministry office at Grand View University led the group in a variety of worship experiences. Music was provided by Ryan Buck and his band each evening. Bishop Michael Burk preached and presided at the closing worship serve held at Luther Memorial Church.
The weekend also included large group activities, small group discussions, youth worker training, time to nurture congregational relationships, and meaningful worship. For more information about this and upcoming events can be found at the synod’s website and the Southeastern Iowa Synod Youth Ministry Facebook page.